Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Meditations on
the Goddess of Chocolate:
Confessions of a Crazed Chocoholic


I've a confession to make. It might help you to understand what I've done with the story of the Goddess of Chocolate that I recently posted at the website and why.

In the beginning I thought that writing the myths of the Goddess of Chocolate shouldn't be this hard. Dare I say it: It even ought to be FUN!


Gee, was I ever wrong -- and in for quite a ride. Over a year in the making, it is a sad and moving story about working too hard, the inequitable distribution of wealth, war, greed and excess leading to the eventual collapse of several societies where the Goddess was revered.

The Mayans, the Toltecs, the Olmecs, the Aztecs and the conquering Spaniards . . . whose cradle rocked the goddess first? Which version should I tell?

The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.

~ Carl Jung
OK, so it was Carl Jung who said that. But he must have been channeling the archetype of
the Cocoa Goddess...I'm sure of it!

I take the appearance of this quote on my calendar at this time as absolute synchronicity and a clear message from God/Goddess/Spirit to pull up my big girl pants, take a stand one way or the other, and pull myself out of the fudge!

In other words, to do a good job of telling the story and make it flow and capture the "spirit" of the goddess and her times, I made free use of my first amendment rights (aka, "poetic license") and didn't bother over-much with the details of the bio-socio-geo-political background.

Let's just say that, like all archetypal characters, the Goddess of Chocolate was a gal who really got around! Wherever she went on her journey and whichever name she usedwhile she was there, she made the changes to meet the needs and beliefs of thepeople who embraced her.

So, to all of you to whom it really matters whether or not I got the correspondence of the gods and goddesses' names and cultures and the order of their appearance "right", you may be dismayed with the liberties I've taken. But please do enlighten us with your knowledge about the Goddess of Chocolate (and the issues surrounding her) by leaving your comments below. Some would really like to know/understand this stuff. It just kept getting in the way of the story so it's just not in my JD (job description) at the moment.


Now let's all grab a cup of cocoa and get together to discover the myths of the Goddess of
Chocolate
in her many guises.

No comments: